At Chingford House School, our topmost priorities are to create a positive and welcoming environment for the children as well as supporting their emotional well-being.
We understand how distressing it might be if an authorised adult fails to collect a child, so we ensure that children receive a high standard of care and attention to minimise their fear and worry.
Parents/carers are informed of our procedures when they first start nursery, so that, if they are unavoidably delayed, they will be reassured that their children will be properly cared for.
Statement of intent
In the event that a child is not collected by an authorised adult at the end of a session/day, Chingford House School has procedures in place to ensure that the child is supported. To ensure that procedures include safeguarding protocols, two members of staff will remain with the child to mitigate the risk of any allegations being made; additionally, in the event that an accident occurs with either the child or member of staff, it is important that there are at least two members of staff on the premises.
- Parents are asked to provide specific information which is recorded on our registration form, including information such as: home address, various contact numbers, people authorised to collect the child and information on people authorised to collect the child in an emergency
- When parents know they will not be at home or at their usual
place of work, they must inform their Key Person, Room Leader
or the Manager of how they can be contacted
When parents or authorised persons are unable to come
and they know this in advance, the parent must sign a ‘permission to collect my child’ slip detailing the name of the person coming and the relationship between the child and person i.e. Aunt, family friend.
- Late collection of a child is charged at £1 for every hour of
If a child is not collected at the end of the session/day we apply the following procedures:
• The Manager will check and confirm information with the staff in the child’s room of any changes to the normal collection routine
• The parents/carers will be contacted at home, work and any other numbers that we hold on file
• All reasonable attempts will be made to contact the parents/carers, but if this is unsuccessful, alternative authorised adults will be contacted (parents will be informed via voicemail that we are taken this action)
• The child will stay at the nursery with one member of staff and the Manager/Deputy until the child has been collected
• The child will not leave the premises with anyone other than those named on the registration form or someone that we have been notified is authorised to collect the child
• Once the parent/carer/authorised adult has arrived, they will be asked to sign, confirm the time of late collection.
• If we are unable to contact a parent/carer/authorised adult/emergency contact and no-one has collected the child by 7.00 p.m., our child protection procedures will be initiated:
• We will contact Waltham Forest Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH team), 221 Hoe Street, Walthamstow, E17 9PH.
Tel no: 020 8496 2310 Out of hours: 020 8496 3000 or the Mash Team in a different borough if the child does not live in Waltham Forest and implement any advice or procedures as directed by them
The child may become more upset if the Child Protection Team decide that they will take the child into their custody until their parent
/guardian has been located. We will do everything we can to support the child until they leave our care
We will inform Ofsted as soon as practicably possible and within 14 days at the latest, and will include a full written report of the incident
We will continue to liaise with Ofsted and of course speak with the child’s parents as soon as we can.
It is our intention to welcome the child and family back as soon as possible so that the child can return to a familiar and secure routine.
At Chingford House we are keen to support children and families and will offer as much help and guidance as possible as well as signposting families to services that may also offer support.
Policy revised by: Yolande Farrell Manager
Signed off by: Zarkar Akhtar Owner
Date: Oct 2020 Date of next review: Nov 2021