Statement of intent
In the event that a child is not collected by an authorised adult at the end of a session/day Chingford House School puts into practice agreed procedures to ensure the child is cared for by an experienced and qualified practitioner who is known to the child.
In the event that an authorized adult does not collect a child, we will ensure that the child receives a high standard of care in order to cause as little distress as possible. We inform parents/carers of our procedures so that, if they are unavoidably delayed, they will be reassured that their children will be properly cared for.
Parents of children at Chingford House School are asked to provide specific information which is recorded on our Emergency form, including:
- Home address and telephone number
- Place of work, address and telephone number (if applicable)
- Mobile telephone number (if applicable)
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers of adults who are authorized by the parents to act in an emergency;
- Information about any person who does not have legal access to their children.
- On occasions when parents are aware that they will not be at home or in their usual place of work, they should record how they can be contacted in our Collection Book.
- On occasions when parents or the persons normally authorized to collect the child are not able to collect the child they record the name, address and telephone number of the person who will be collecting their child in our Collection Book. We agree with parents how the identification of the person who is to collect their child will be verified.
- If a child is not collected at the end of the session/day we apply the following procedures:
- The Collection Book will be checked for any information about changes to the normal collection routine;
- If no information is provided, parents/carers will be contacted at home or work;
- If this is unsuccessful, alternative adults who are authorised to collect the children are contacted;
- All reasonable attempts are made to contact the parents/carers, for example another member of staff visits the child’s home;
- The child stays at School in the care of experienced staff until the child is safely collected;
- The child does not leave the premises with anyone other than those named on the Registration form and in the Collection book;
- Once the parent/carer/authorised adult has arrived, the collection book is to be signed by the parent/carer/authorised adult to confirm the time of late collection.
- If we are unable to contact a parent/carer/authorised adult/emergency contact and no-one has collected the child by 7.00 p.m., we apply the procedures set out in our Child Protection Policy.
- We contact the Local Authority Social Services Department;
Waltham Forest Children and Families Service, Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub,
221 Hoe Street, Walthamstow, E17 9PH. Tel: 020 8496 2310. Out of hours: 020 8496 3000.
- A full written report of the incident will be recorded
Policy adopted on: October 20th 2015
Policy reviewed on: April 9th 2018